Okay, so I lied about being in my third trimester in my last post. *Technically* that doesn’t happen for another 2 weeks, but I AM however, 6 months along. Math schmath.
We had our regularly scheduled check up last week and I also took my glucose screen while I was there. And, not to my surprise, got a call yesterday telling me I failed it. The cutoff for passing is 130 mg/dL and I was at 140, so I wasn’t too far off. If I could turn back time I wouldn’t have eaten that bowl of Cap’n Crunch and banana. But alas, I can do no such thing and I’ll be going in for the 3 hour glucose tolerance test tomorrow. I think the only thing I’m worried about it how hangry I’m going to be that I won’t be able to eat anything between 12am and 12pm. I usually eat right when I get up or I feel terrible so I can imagine drinking a glucose solution AND not eating won’t be pleasant. I may carry a celebratory burrito in my purse for the moment the last blood sample is drawn.
In other news, I’ve decided to interview a doula next week. Never in my life did I imagine I would ever say those words. My life-long philosophy on childbirth has been, “If I ever have kids, it will be in a hospital with drugs. Lots of drugs.” I even felt this way for the first few months of my pregnancy. It’s only in the last month or two that I realized I’m not totally sold on that philosophy.
I still plan on birthing at a hospital, there’s absolutely no question there. I don’t have anything against home-births or water births.. or whatever else someone may choose to do; It’s just not for me. But the debate on pain killers and inducing is what’s making me rethink the drugs part.
I’ve ready many, many, biased reports and reviews on natural birth and epidural-assisted births. (I’ll let you find these on your own and pick out what you believe to be credible or BS.) My opinion for *myself* is that I will do what ever I can on my own. I don’t want to be induced and have no desire for Pitocin to be in my system. I’m also weary about the epidural but not completely impractical. If I get to a point where I just can’t take it and there’s still time for it, I’ll be glad to have it.
So there’s the reason for the doula interview. I think it could be beneficial to have someone there who has been though it and can provide extra support for just me and Cory.
I think that’s the plan but as the old saying goes, ‘the best laid plans of mice and men often go awry.’
I’ll be sure to update on the doula decision after the interview. That’s all for now!